Our dogs are often our best friends, so we naturally want to know more about them. Keep reading to discover some incredible facts that you'll find amazing!
1) A dog's sense of smell is over 40 times better than ours
The area of cells in a dog’s brain that detects smell is 40x larger than humans, you dog can therefore smell things that we never could, this is why working dogs are used to sniff people, drugs and even money.
2) A dog's nose is wet to assist them in absorbing scent chemicals
Dog’s noses are wet to help absorb these chemicals, their nose secretes a special mucus that helps to absorb scent, they then lick their nose to sample this scent chemicals and understand what the scent is.
3) Some dogs have such a good scent that they are used to sniff out medical problems and diseases
These clever medical dogs are trained to sniff out medical conditions and diseases and indicate to owners when they need more medication.
In the ongoing Covid pandemic, dogs are even being used to indicate covid in people.
4) Dogs have the ability to breathe and sniff at the same time
A dog’s sense of smell is their most important sense, indicating to them over their evolution where food is, dangers to them and their friends amongst other things. A dog’s nose is designed to hold scents which remain in their nose whilst also being able to breath with their lungs at the same time.
5) Three dogs survived the Titanic sinking
These fortunate dogs were all first class passengers and included a Pomeranian puppy, her owner wrapped her into a blanket before boarding a lifeboat which other passengers thought was a baby. The other two survivors were a Pekingese and another Pomeranian.
6) Some dogs are so fast that they would beat a cheetah in a race
7) Dogs are right of left pawed
Worldwide studies have evidenced that dogs have a favourite paw to lead with. If your curious to know if your dog is left or right pawed, you can give them a favourite toy and see which paw is used to help them first.
8) Banenji dogs don't bark
9) The Saluki breed is the oldest breed of dog.
the breed dates back to 329BC and were kept by royalty in ancient egypt. Carvings of a dog were found in 7000BC in the area of southern iraq.
10) Dogs are not colourblind
11) If a female dog was never spayed or neutered, along with her puppies, they could produce over 66,000 puppies in just 6 years!
12) The USA has the highest dog population in the world, followed by France in second place.
13) The Bassett Hound Cannot swim.
14) A dog's nose print is as unique as a human fingerprint and can be used to accurately identify them.
15) Puppies have 28 teeth, increasing to 42 adult teeth.
16) Dogs dream.
Just like humans, dogs have (SWS) slow wave sleep along with rapid eye movement (REM) which allows them to dream. Dogs can be seen to twitch and move their paws during their sleep indicating that they are dreaming.
17) Dogs have the ability to find the source of a sound in 6/100tghs of a second.
18) Dogs roll in dirt or rubbish to mask their own smell
This inherited instinct was useful to them in the wild when they were hunting prey whilst avoiding becoming the hunted.